Monday, February 25, 2019

JUST THINKING ABOUT SOMETHING YOU SAID . . .

"'You know, I was thinking about what you said to me last night.'

Did you catch that?

She went home that night, hours after I spoke to her, and thought about my words.
The next morning, when I saw her for the first time, they were still on her heart,
while I had not thought of them since I walked away from her desk."



Jessica Turner
A Moment To Breathe  p. 100/Nook
Broadman&Holman  2017


Just last week, I made a similar comment to a friend.
 A common phrase in her school was, "That (misbehavior) will be put in your permanent record."

Her friend, as an adult, went to the school and asked to see her 
permanent record.

My mind couldn't let go of my friend's experience . . . one that she was remembering decades later. 

"That was a fear tactic," I said. "And that permanent piece is like saying, 'You will never be forgiven.' That's awful!"


What words of mine (or yours) have people gone home with?
Did their mind/heart not let go of them because they felt . . .
stupid?
unappreciated?
encouraged?
valued?
loved?
enjoyed?

Words are powerful.
God, help me use them wisely.

lonnie


No comments:

Post a Comment