Sunday, February 4, 2018

IF I WERE . . .

" ' . . . For if I were (that certain kind of) weiner. Everyone would be in love with me.'

"Think of what it would mean to be a weenie, or for someone to love you as they "love" a hot dog.

"If you are willing to be a weenie to be loved, what else would you be willing to do?"

Dallas Willard
The Divine Conspiracy  p. 9
HarperSanFrancisco   1997


I wade through Willard's writings; other friends won't even try (notice I'm only on page 9). He's deeply philisophical, so, this little ditty caught me off guard -- and found me smiling. I lived in the era of this commercial. I sang along.

Willard has definitely taken this to the extreme, but his discussion is valid. Within this dialogue he addresses a complaint my dad had: "Why do people pay money to wear advertisements? The company ought to pay them."

Willard believes we wear commercial trademarks on our shirts and hats to let others know who we are.

Don't think so?

When our children were junior high age, a neighbor removed a popular label from worn out jeans, and sewed them on new jeans, for her son. Unfortunately, his classmates took no time to figure that out and the humiliation was worse than not having the money/label in the first place.

I've run across a couple TV programs highlighting "knock-offs"-- clothes that look like brand names . . . but aren't. Clothes for those who want to look rich . . . but aren't.

Judging others by brand names is so wrong and so shallow. But, what's really sad is that we often judge our worth by that same standard.

IF I WERE . . . 

BUT I AM! AND SO ARE YOU!

FEARFULLY AND WONDERFULLY MADE.
Lonnie 

No comments:

Post a Comment