Thursday, June 14, 2018

ARGUMENTS

"I wonder if you change human beings with arguments alone: either by peppering them with sharp facts or by blowing them up with guns of truth. You scare 'em, but do you change 'em? I wonder if ever you make any real difference in human beings without understanding them and loving them. 

"For when you argue with a man (how much more with a woman), you are somehow trying to pull down and make him less ( and yourself more); but when you try to understand him, when you like him, how eager is he then to know the truth you have; and you add to him in some strange way, you make him more than he was before; and at the same time, and that is the sheer magic of it, you yourself become more."


David Grayson
Adventures in Understanding  p.24-25
Renaissance House  1989 (originally published in 1925)


This is quite a long quote to use without permission. I tried but suspect it is out of print.

As For Me

In attempt to make room on my bookshelf, I determined to get rid of some books less likely to be reread.

What was I thinking?! 

I can't live without David Grayson!  I may not read him often but, when I do, I feel as though I'm in a comfy lawnchair surrounded by whispering trees and birdsong. I enjoy his gentle wisdom and warmth. I feel a smile, though I have no idea what this man looks like.

Aaah, but when I read Grayson (Ray Stannard Baker), this crazy circus of a world gets put on hold.

This blog began in a coffee shop but is being sent from a hospital. Kidney stones!

And to all, a good night.

Nap time.

Lonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment