Monday, June 25, 2018

CONTROL FREAK

"The war had changed me--the bombs and bloodshed had pushed me to the point of surrendering to the truth that I was a control freak hopelessly unable to control anything at all. Perhaps . . . God had needed to radically alter my environment to get my attention."

W. Lee Warren, M.D.
No Place To Hide  p. 274/Nook
Zondervan  2014


As For Me

What makes us control freaks?

For me, fear plays a starring role. Finances usually top the list.

 Welfare will do that.

Having children and grandchildren will do that. We want the best for them.

Likewise, living within a multigenerational blame game creates fear. "We would have plenty if you did this . . . or didn't do that . . . "

I cycle between blaming my husband for buying 2 cans of broth instead of one, my parents for not letting me pursue my own career interests, my job, the government, and circumstances (AKA--God). But mostly I blame myself. Hmmm . . . perhaps I try to control others because I can't control myself.

I think the desire for justice also makes us control freaks. And the absence of control makes us angry.

I appreciate Dr. Warren's reminder of how little we control. Seriously! Very little.


God has asked me to "Be still and know that HE is GOD."

I'm trying.

And, I believe I am learning that there is freedom in giving up control--ha! Control I never really had to begin with.

Lonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment