Wednesday, August 22, 2018

R-RATED (Republican)

"Within 90 days from the time Lincoln is inaugurated, the Republican Party will be utterly ruined and destroyed. His path is environed with so many difficulties, that if he had the ability of Jefferson and the energy of Jackson, he would fail, but he is a weak and inexperienced man and his administration will be doomed from the commencement . . ."

Memphis Daily Appeal   
November 13, 1860


"There is intense excitement here. Large crowds are gathered in the streets. The pervading spirit among the masses is resistance to Lincoln's administration, and everywhere the determination is manifest."

Lancaster Ledger   
November 1860


Newt Gingrich
Understanding Trump   p.. 150 (nook)
Center Street 2017


As For Me

Lincoln is, forever, one of my heroes.

President Donald Trump is not. But these similarities are, at least, interesting.

I don't agree with everything Trump does. And I detest much of his past, especially his immorality, as much as everyone else. But I do agree with some of what he's done and many of his goals--as much as I can, without political savvy, understand.

I continue to believe that God places men/women in authority--some to bless us and some to discipline us. I suspect we are getting some of both. I, for one, appreciate the religious freedom that the Trump administrstion is fighting for, for however long it lasts. It won't last forever.

Praying More Than Ever Before,

Lonnie


PS: Lincoln fired 1,400 of 1,500 appointees when he took office.
p. 145 nook

No comments:

Post a Comment