Tuesday, August 14, 2018

WHATEVER!

"Our pastor is retiring; so the congregation is encouraged to pray for the right person to replace him.

I began praying---but quit. I caught myself thinking whatever! We'll see who comes and deal with it then.

Yet, there are pastoral attributes critical to me, such as, handling the Word of God accurately. I'd also like a Psalm 119 pastor, who craves God's Word and is utterly dependent on it; someone who would raise such curiosity and anticipation for God's promises, commands, and miracles that others would read the Bible for themselves.

And oh, I long for a pastor concerned for lost souls and one who understands spiritual warfare.


So important to me, but I don't pray?

This week, I studied the character and platforms of candidates to prepare for voting responsibly.

I hold strong feelings about the type of men and women who lead our county and country. But I caught myself, again. Whatever! I'm only one vote. BUT, one that should be dressed in prayer, yes? What difference might that make?

Why don't I pray?

Do I think I am only one pray-er too? That my prayer gets lost in the multitudes? Do I think God and I are on different sides? ( I suppose that could be a problem.)

I'm afraid the problem is simpler than that.

I'm lazy.

Let someone else do it; someone who understands the ins and outs of government--things I just don't grasp.

And yet, I can pray for what I do understand. That's my assignment.

Lord, forgive my apathy; please hear (read) my prayer and help me grow in faith and faithfulness.

Lonnie



" . . . the prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective."

James 5:15  NIV

"I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercessions and thanksgiving be made for all people--for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceable and quiet lives in godliness and holiness.  
(emphasis mine)
1 Timothy 2:1-2 NIV













No comments:

Post a Comment