Monday, January 29, 2018

COMING OUT GAY

If there was anyone wanting to find biblical approval for homosexuality, it would be Caleb Kaltenbach. Both his mom and dad came out as gay. 

Somewhat like Josh McDowell and Lee Strobel, Kaltenbach went to a Bible study to prove Christianity false. He'd seen his mom treated horribly by Christians. Why wouldn't he want to discredit them?!

I greatly appreciate his book, "Messy Grace," because it allows me to love Jesus AND LGBT folks.

God has been working in my heart for some time . . . 14 years I'd guess; way before my life became entwined from various sides with this issue. God has taken this heart of stone, that Jeremiah writes about, and has given me a heart of flesh . . . one of genuine, love-to-be-around-you-love, and compassion.

But, to be honest, sometimes I feel like I'm walking a tight-rope. I'm guessing maybe you do, too.

Kaltenbach gives 4 possible responses for when someone comes out to us. I find them helpful and pass them on to you. They seem like good responses to anyone in our lives who is LGBT, whether they come out to us or not.

1. "We can kick them out of our life.
2.  We can ignore it.  (them)
3.  We can change our beliefs so there's no tension between us.
4.  Or we can keep loving them and hold our beliefs firm."

Caleb Kaltenbach
Messy Grace   p. 95
Waterbrook   2015

I am walking that tight-rope now. I write this with fear and trembling--fear that someone I love will be hurt, become angry, turn away from Jesus--turn away from me. And so, while I usually post new blog entries to facebook, I am leaving this one in God's hands. 

God, You know who this will hurt or help. Give me love, wisdom and strength to respond well.

In Jesus Name.

Faithfully His ,
Lonnie


No comments:

Post a Comment