Friday, December 1, 2017

GALLBLADDER OOPS!

"Instead of making a one inch incision to part my stomach muscles, the cutting device ripped a 3-4 inch gash into my midsection. The razor sharp instrument tore through my intestines, bowel and --worst of all--right through my aorta. It then struck like a dagger into my spine, severing a number of nerve bundles."

Steve Sjogren
The Day I Died   
Regal Books  2006


As For Me

Though tests showed the oddity of no gallbladder, surgeons determined to remove it.

Throughout his book, Steve calls this horribly botched surgery an accident. I thought of more appropriate words--like stupidity or utter carelessness.

Were I him or his wife, I'd have been pointing fingers, hiring lawyers, and defaming anyone near that surgery. Anger would become my life's blood while, at the same time, self pity would, slowly and painfully, suck the life right out of me.

Not Steve. By the end of his book, I felt my stoney heart give way to a bright red organ pumping with mercy.

I imagined the surgeon being tossed around by a storm of guilt. I considered how that cloud of guilt might affect his marriage, family, friendships, and work environment.

Who could touch that giant guilt but Steve? By his forgiveness . . . by his refusing to give up but, instead,  living his life to the fullest! By trusting and leaning on God and by looking forward to his future. By impacting untold number of lives.

You would expect someone brought back from death to life to, also, be completely healed. Not so. Steve lives with more challenges than you and I could imagine. Read his book. It's small but powerful.

Thank you, Steve,
Lonnie


No comments:

Post a Comment