Saturday, May 12, 2018

IF I HAD TO CHOOSE . . .

"Listen, my brothers and sisters; has God not chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith . . ."
                  James 2:5a  New International Version


As For Me

I've asked myself, at times, if I had to choose between wealth or poverty with/or requiring faith, what would I choose?

If you had to choose . . . ?

Wealth and poverty (and that wide space inbetween) inherit challenges. 

Another question, in a similar vein, is "Would I rather have time or money?" Because it doesn't seem that you can have both. I suppose if you retire well, that's a possibility. But then, there's the health question.

One man I know, residing in assisted living and bound to a wheel chair and an oxygen tank, won a settlement because his work environment caused his lung disease. "Now I have money, but no way to spend it."

What I've seen in our life, is that God provides in different ways. He has given Ray and I simple tastes. Gourmet meals don't tempt us. Cruises? Not really. Being served? Not! Dad said, of his cruise, that they did everything for him but chew his food. No thanks.

Nature, beauty, a reliable car without rust, coffee shop brew, family, friends, conversation with fellow believers, good books, music, highschool plays, McD's breakfast . . . We are fairly easy to bless. There are dreams that we ache for -- beauty a little further from home, gospel concerts, and treating our children and grandchildren to a vacation of beauty and togetherness. 

God gives us tastes even of those. Memories have a life of their own that still bring smiles and feelings of love.

If I had to choose--riches or faith?--I'd choose both. 

Because . . . I've been given both.

In Him Is Fullness Of Joy,
Lonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment