Monday, May 28, 2018

TRANSGENDER AND THE CHURCH

"Compassion does not mean approval. But neither does compassion mean silence. 

Compassion says, 

"I'M SO SORRY YOU ARE EXPERIENCING DEEP INNER ANGUISH ABOUT YOUR GENDER. I CANNOT FATHOM THE TYPES OF STRUGGLES YOU EXPERIENCE,

"BUT I WOULD LIKE TO LISTEN TO YOU AND I WOULD LIKE TO BE HERE FOR YOU.

"I AM SORRY FOR ANY HURT OR REJECTION YOU'VE ENCOUNTERED FROM OTHERS.

" . . . YOU ARE LOVED."
(emphasis mine)



Andrew Walker
God and the Transgender Debate  p. 101
The Goodbook Company  2017

As For Me

You might think that I began reading LGBTQ books after our grand-daughter came out as transgender. Not so.

Probably a decade ago, Sue attended our church in her "butch" haircut and overalls. A woman so willing to serve. Our church and pastor modeled love for her so well that I realized that the Church (and I) had not handled homosexuality well. I determined to change the world! 

I have, by no means, changed the world. But God has changed me.

Through Sue, family, and co-workers, I continue to discover that there is so much more to a person than their sexual preference: talents, humor, compassion, and faithful friendship. I could easily follow each of those with exclamation points; but writers are told to use them sparingly.

It would seem that my next piece of this journey is to listen.

It will be difficult to initiate that conversation. Will they trust me when I do?

In Your Hands, God,
Lonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment